Pternistis is a genus of birds galliform, formerly classified in the group of turach of the partridge subfamily of the pheasant family. They are described as “partridge turachi” in the literature, basing their phylogenetic distribution outside the monophyletic population of true turachi. Its 23 species range across Sub-Saharan Africa. They are commonly known as turachi or spurfowl, but are closely related to the jungle bush quail, European stone partridge Alectoris and quail Coturnix... The species are strictly monogamous, remaining fused indefinitely. They provide most of their food by digging. Ptarmigans exist almost entirely on the roots, beans of pods and trees, tubers, seeds, feasting on the situation on termites, ants, locusts, flowers and fruits. Important predators are jackals, caracals, servals and birds of prey, as well as marabou storks and herons.
- Scaly turach, Pternistis squamatus
- Turach Ahanta, Pternistis ahantensis
- Gray-striped turach, Pternistis griseostriatus
- Hildebrandt's Turach, Pternistis hildebrandti
- Double-spur prankster Pternistis bicalcaratus
- Turach Heuglina, Pternistis icterorhynchus
- Clapperton's Turach, Pternistis clappertoni
- Harwood Turach, Pternistis harwoodi
- Turach Svirstra, Pternistis swierstrai
- Turach Mountain Cameroon, Pternistis camerunensis
- Beautiful turach, Pternistis nobilis
- Jackson's hooker, Pternistis jacksoni
- Kashtanov dozing turach, Pternistis castaneicollis
- Turach Djibouti, Pternistis ochropectus
- Turach Erkel, Pternistis erckelii
- spurfowl Hartlob, Pternistis hartlaubi
- spurfowl with a red beak, Pternistis adspersus
- Cape spurfowl, Pternistis capensis
- Natal Spurfowl, Pternistis natalensis
- spurfowl with a yellow neck, Pternistis leucoscepus
- spurfowl with gray breasts, Pternistis rufopictus
- Red-throated spurfowl, Pternistis afer
- Swainson's spurfowl, Pternistis swainsonii
About This Page
Page copyright © 2011
Page: Tree of Life Pternistis natalensis... Natal Spurfowl. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 10 July 2007
- Content changed 10 July 2007
Citing this page:
Tree of Life Web Project. 2007. Pternistis natalensis... Natal Spurfowl. Version 10 July 2007 (temporary). http://tolweb.org/Pternistis_natalensis/88868/2007.07.10 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/
This page is a Tree of Life Leaf Page.
Each ToL leaf page provides a synopsis of the characteristics of a group of organisms representing a leaf at the tip of the Tree of Life. The major distinction between a leaf and a branch of the Tree of Life is that a leaf cannot generally be further subdivided into subgroups representing distinct genetic lineages.
For a more detailed explanation of the different ToL page types, have a look at the Structure of the Tree of Life page.